Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Eggrolls

So... I found myself with a day off and looking for things to do. I decided that the paychecks just weren't going to get into the bank on their own so I deposited them. I then went to TJ Maxx and roamed around for awhile looking for gift ideas. I found a few things, a pine scented yankee candle, some skull bottle stoppers, jeans for me (Im a sucker for good jeans), and a nerf toy for my boyfriends lil 3 year old. I then went shopping at one of my favorite grocery stores called Sprouts Farmers Market. I got avocados, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, roma tomatoes, blackberries, oranges among other goodies such as ear candles and garlic sourdough bread :) Then to get gas for my beastly gas guzzling truck. I got home and cleaned up the place a bit and moved around the 4 totes of Christmas decorations that will be going around the house and on the tree in the next couple days. I decided to try my hand at making chinese eggrolls after that and I think they turned out pretty decent. I took a couple pictures of the funtivities involved. The recipe ensues...
Gathering all the ingredients.
Cut up the cabbage and carrots and make the oil nice and hot.
Add all of the ingredients to the pan and cook till the cabbage is slightly wilted.
Let the mixture cool down and then prepare to wrap!
There we go making some eggrolls :)
Wrapped and ready to be fryed up to eat.
Mmmmm...look at those hot little rolls!
I ran out of cabbage mixture so I had some leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving and some velveeta!
Finished product, ready to eat! The top ones are the chinese eggrolls and the bottom ones are the mashed potato and cheese ones. They all turned out better than I thought. I could have wrapped up the cabbage eggrolls a little tighter, but I was afraid to tear the fragile eggroll wrappers. Fun stuff, I will definitely make them again. Heres the recipe for the chinese eggrolls if you are so inclined.


How to make it
·       Into a large frying pan, place about 3 T. oil. Let oil get hot.
·       Throw everything into the pan, and saute until well blended and coated with oil/wilted just a tad bit---not completely shrunken, but just reduced by a bit. You don't want to over-cook. You're just looking to wilt everything a bit before the frying stage!
·       Remove from heat, pour vegetable/meat mixture into a colander and let drain into another bowl in the fridge until cool enough to handle.
·       Prepare wrappers by laying out on waxed/parchment paper.
·       Wet edges of each wrapper individually with a fingertip or small brush dipped in water.
·       Place approximately 3 tablespoons mixture in each wrapper, and seal egg rolls
·       At this point, you can either deep fry for a couple minutes, or fry in about a half-inch of hot oil until golden brown.

shopping listshopping list
sh

No comments: