Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Silent Weekend
















This past weekend I participated in a "Silent" weekend with other Kent State students involved in ASL classes. ASL stands for American Sign Language, if anyone was wondering, and there are 6 different levels of the class at this point that can be taught. I am a baby in ASL 1 and most of the people there were at least ASL 2 or 3. To see the difference in just one semester more is scary to me because they were so much better at signing than myself. Many of the people there were deaf as well. There was NO talking during any of the group activities, which was daunting. Hence the meaning "Silent" weekend;) It was a gathering for students and deaf people to get together and have a nice relaxing weekend. I actually felt far from relaxed at times though, I had a good time, but it was very stressful going there and knowing only the basics of signing. I was happy that everyone was really patient and eager to work with me and my fellow ASL 1 classmates. It is encouraging, to say the least, that I am able to have a short basic conversation with a deaf person, when just a few short months ago I would have been clueless in talking with them, and it would have scared me to death to even try. The weekend was gorgeous and I loved camping out. I haven't had the chance to camp this summer and it was just what I needed to get a little more relaxed and ready to get thru the rest of the semester. The top picture is of the entire group on the last day, minus a few that left the night before. The bottom picture is just a few of my classmates trying to sign to each other. This was an experience that I would have never done on my own, but because of it being a requirement for my ASL class, I am so glad that I did. It is hard to break out of your shell when you don't have to.


1 comment:

Adrienne said...

That sounds like a pretty amazing experience. Being pushed outside of our bubble can be scary, but fun!