Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pipe smokin doesn't come easy!


I told my husband a few months ago that I really would like to learn how to smoke a nice tobacco pipe. You see he regularly participates in enjoying his pipes with his close friends, they have a great time talking and bragging about manly things and generally relaxing as they toke up an amazing smelling tobacco with a name like "topper", "blue diamond", "spice and nice" or "heather"(boy did she smell good). Anyways, I love to smell the tobacco and I thought that I would also like to enjoy this great aquired talent.
It all started last summer when I attempted to smoke a pipe with just a bit of success, I realized then how much of a skill it really is to be a pipe smoker. Just 2 months ago my hubby finally bought me a really well made smooth wooden pipe that is just the right size for me to hold in my hand as I puff away at it. I have been hesitant in smoking it, I feared that I would do a terrible job learning how to smoke it, that everyone would make fun of me or that I would never master the skill. I always hear the horror stories from my husband of the ones that try and fail miserably.
Well just the other night I finally got some tobacco; "christmas cookie" is her name. I sat around with 3 of the finest pipe smokers that I know and I got instruction and guidance as I struggled my way thru smoking my first bowl of tobacco through my very own hand made danish pipe. I guess that I did alright. I went through quite a few matches as I struggled to keep it lit, but I did enjoy a nice puff or two of some fine, unstressful pipe smoking. So thanks guys for helping me try to master my skills at pipe smoking. I hope that one day I will get a nice bowl of ash just like you!

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Glad to see you relaxing with us. I love helping you out, but be careful how much advice you take. You will learn how to pack your pipe, how to light it and all that good stuff. Everyone wants to tell you what works, but if your way works then go with it. It is an art, and you are the artist.......a smoking one.

lyndsay said...

Laura i love how you refer to the tobacco's as her, haha i thought you did great!

Rhea said...

Cool. I work near an old tobacco shop and occasionally I try the cigars but not the pipes. I am intimidated.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles

Zack said...

hey laura,
I think that it is great that you have joined the pipe smoking community. I can't wait to chillax in the hizzax with ya. see you soon.